click to enlarge
February 27, 2014
Jackie will be performing with her red-hot all-star Bay Area quartet: Charles McNeal; sax, John R Burr; piano, Gary Brown; bass and Akira Tana; drums
"ONE OF THE OUTSTANDING JAZZ VOCALISTS OF HER GENERATION AND, QUITE POSSIBLY, OF ALL TIME. . . rivaling the dexterous sass of Sarah Vaughan, the instinctive smarts of Carmen McRae and the scintillating verve of Diana Krall."
— Christopher Louden ~JazzTimes
Thursday, Feb 27
- GENERAL ADMISSION: $21
- DINNER & ADMISSION: $59
- DOOR PRICE: $25
If you like Jackie Ryan, consider:
• Jackie Ryan isn't simply a singer; she's a force of nature. Her voice possesses a weighty power, yet soars with grace and ease. Her ability to transmute into different characters and forms, as dictated by the song, lyrics and style, makes her one in a million and she's managed to parlay that unique gift into project after successful project with some of the best in the business backing her up.
• "Those who hear her are the fortunate ones," writes Howard Mandel - president, Jazz Journalists Association; "An astonishing contralto voice," (DOWNBEAT), thrilling audiences across the globe with her powerful 3 & 1/2 octave range and her magnetic stage presence - and amassing, along the way, an impressive array of records (three back-to-back #1 CDs on JazzWeek's nationwide radio chart) and glowing reviews.
• Her previous outing - a double CD, "DOOZY" - featured Cyrus Chestnut, Eric Alexander, Jeremy Pelt, Carl Allen, Ray Drummond and Romero Lubambo, garnered universal praise (4-Stars from both DOWNBEAT and AMG), and held the #1 position nationwide on JazzWeek's industry-standard chart for a record-breaking 7 solid weeks. Her previous CD, "You and The Night and The Music" featuring Red Holloway, Tamir Hendelman, and Jeff Hamilton among others, also received 4 stars from AMG and DOWNBEAT.
• In addition to these jazz greats, Ms. Ryan has recorded and/or performed with: Toots Thielemans, Clark Terry, Buddy DeFranco, Ernie Watts, Harry Allen, Scott Hamilton, John Clayton, Gerald Clayton, Amina Figarova, Mike Wofford, Jon Mayer, Larry Vuckovich, Barry Harris, Bill Cunliffe, Shelly Berg, Benny Green, The Jeff Hamilton Trio, Terry Gibbs, and Jon Hendricks.
• Ms. Ryan has been profiled as the featured artist for NPR, Voice of America, PRIMETIME A&E and CNN TV en Español and has filled premier venues both here and abroad - Asia, Australia, and Europe (such as eight years at London's famed Ronnie Scott's Club) - and festivals at home such as Telluride, Monterey, and the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, and packed concerts at New York's Birdland, Lincoln Center's Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola,
• It is not by accident that her cross-cultural appeal "bridges the gap between both geography and generations," as BILLBOARD so aptly put it. Part Irish, part Mexican, she was born into it - and grew up listening to a unique blend of voices around her family's small home. Her father of Irish descent was a trained classical baritone who sang in the many languages of the classics. And her mother, from Mexico, also a singer, sang in Operettas at the Teatro Degollado in Guadalajara. She crooned Spanish folk songs to Jackie when she was a child. Unfortunately she passed on when Jackie was young. So she always includes a Spanish song in memory of her in all of her CDs and live concerts.
• Jackie's brand-new show will feature songs that are closest to her heart. From blues and gospel flavored jazz, luscious love songs, soaring Spanish ballads, to pulsating samba rhythms.Plus songs from her latest CD - Listen Here - the number #1 Jazz CD nationwide for four weeks.